Monday 5 October 2015

GoggleBox

We live in a very interesting time in the world at the moment. It hasn't been made official yet, but we really are not too long away from going in to a world war 3 situation and yet, you'd be amazed at how many people are ignorant to the fact.

My social media accounts are very interesting at the moment. Of course I still have my friends on them, who post and share content which will keep your mind busy for a while or bring out the caring side in you for a while, but then I have the other side to my social media. The side which manages to keep me informed as to what is going on around the world. It's how I have come to form many of my opinions on some of the topics I am very vocal about, like Muslim people being treated as second class citizens, to the current refugee crisis faced by the world at the moment.

It's why then, of late, when it comes to writing a piece like this, my mind boggles with the topics that I could talk to you about on here. While on the one hand I have a half ton of stuff going on in my life that I wouldn't feel happy posting about, there's topics of stuff which is going on in governments for example, that are that complicated, I am confused as to where to begin and how to explain it to people, forget trying to motivate them to take action as I would want all people to do.

I think I saw an incite into a friends life the other night though and it struck me as "this is what is wrong with the world".

See, the other week I was staying at my boyfriends house and I always like to sleep with the TV in the bedroom left on. At some silly hour like 3am, I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, but on the TV was this programme, GoggleBox. It's a show I'm sure many of you will have heard of, where the concept is you sit and watch people who are sat watching tv. Apparently some of the people on the show are funny and I should enjoy watching, but as I was sleepy, I didn't stay awake too much longer to be able to enjoy this content that people have been raving about since the shows creation.

Skip forward a few nights and we come to when me and my friend got together. It's rare that we get together these days and have a few drinks and a laugh like we used to, we have both got a lot going on in our lives and sometimes, friends just don't get to see each other that much... we're at one of those fazes. It always makes me happy to see her though and so we began to pour out the drinks and sit on the couch ready for a night of putting films, shows and music on the TV and talk over all of them while the alcohol slowly takes effect, before sobering up with a cup of tea and the usual taxi being called etc.

As my laptop was having problems connecting with the TV, the TV kept putting on... GoggleBox.

My friend said we should watch it and I should give it time to be able to find it funny. We sat and watched for a while before the thoughts came into my head... this is what is wrong with the world.

Not the show itself, of course, its producers and makers are all doing very well at making a show, but I couldn't help letting my mind wonder about what was going on in the real world. For example, while i'm sat here watching people, watching tv, there's thousands of people on the run from a country which is now starting to look like the famous "no mans land" from world war 2. That the government is giving away billions of pounds in aid, while people in the UK are left to go without money, food, electricity, even housing, because the government "can't afford it".

It strikes me as funny, because my friend doesn't do politics. I always tell her to vote, but she, as do many other people, has a hard time connecting to politics and having an idea of what is going on, much less being able to think (as I do) differently to what the government says or does. For example, opposing a law coming in and how you can raise your voice to speak out against law changes etc.

It does make you sometimes, want to give up knowing what is going on in the real world. It makes you want to submit to a way of living I know wouldn't make me happy. It makes me want to stop speaking out when I see something wrong, because not many others I know are doing it.

When it was the turn of the UK to vote in the government elections, when you see how many people didn't use their vote, it makes me wonder why any of us bothered to vote at all. Surely all these people can't not understand politics, surely somebody, somewhere, must have seen a post by an activist and still not gone to vote...

So, sit back, enjoy the TV programmes, i'll go and make the cup of tea and question if it is worth getting worked up on real world issues anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment