Friday 14 June 2013

Could i make such a big change?

No.

Is, well, simply how to answer the topic of this one.

This time round i'm talking about trans people. Pre-op, post-op, m2f, f2m, transgender, transexual.... whatever you call it these days, this is my relation to the trans part of the LGBT community.

This actually is the first time i think i've ever publically given an opinion when it comes to trans people, but mainly it's because... i'm meeting them. Don't get me wrong, i've never held anything against the trans community, i've just never spent much time trying to look into things, although i think now is the time for me to spend abit more time looking into the rest of the LGBT community as we begin to move for futher equality.

I've always held a little bit of respect for trans people, truth be told. I can't imagine how it must be, to be wanting such a change in my life, having to live as a different sex, knowing that isn't the true me. My only slight feeling like that was knowing i was gay and not telling anybody, but all's i had to do was to come out and the job was done, i felt fine as i was. With trans people, thats only the start of their journey and there's always such a long way to go, both mentally and physically.

I also think that some people, wether it's through not knowing enough about trans people or... whatever, it's important to know that despite the whole series of op's and endless mental tasks, trans people are still just that.... people.

It has amazed me recently at how much i've formed a friendship with someone who's still going through the change, for starters, i'd never have known unless he said it to me and i'm amazed that all of my thoughts of what i thought a trans person to be like have been fired out of the window. I mean, with him (You may notice, i'm not naming this person here... that is on purpose... he doesn't know i'm writing this) i've still not sat down and had a good chat about some of the questions that float around my brain. I've seen his scars and have spoken a little bit about what is happening to him etc, but you probably know by now that i'm always the nosie one.

I of course know, even without having to have been told, that each person is going to go through the change for different reasons, i know that each of them do it in a bid to make themselves feel better and truer to them real selves afterwards. I know it cannot be an easy thing to first of all decide, but to go through either.

I do feel that it's all time that we could start to look into the trans community and begin to try and understand it. Of course not everybody is going to agree with it, or like it, but welcome to the rest of the LGBT community.

As i draw to a close, that's about all i can say really. I'm on a learning path and it's a topic that i'll probably never get bored of learning about, but it's also time to join the voices of the trans community and speak out where inequality is seen. I ask you to join me in this and begin making your own learning path.

No comments:

Post a Comment